My Husband "Subvet" says that when our first son "Sonshine" was born the sun rose on our world, when our second son "Gator" was born the sun laughed and when our daughter "Sugars" was born all the flowers bloomed. That says it all.

"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...
It's about learning how to dance in the rain."
Anonymous

Your mind is the garden, your
thoughts are the seeds, the harvest can either be flowers or weeds. — William
Wordsworth

Monday, March 31, 2008

Pie and Hot Dogs

So Subvet and I got in an argument tonight.

I mean it was a real catfight.

He made an apple pie, his first ever. It was very good......

TILL

He suggested I put a slice of cheddar cheese on it!!!


WHAT??? YUK!!!!

The only thing I want to see on a plate with pie is Ice Cream.


Well, from then on we were at the races. I'd like to say I won, but I'm not sure it's true.....

Here are a few of the things we've argued about over the years. Feel free to leave your "vote" or answer to each one in the comments!

1) What do you put on a hot dog?

Mom - mustard, relish, ketchup OR chili and cheese

Subvet - sauerkraut and chopped onions

2) How to offer a beverage

Mom - Would you like a coke? What kind? I have Sprite or Dr Pepper

Subvet - Can I get you a soda?

3) Sausage

Mom - Summer or Cajun or Boudin please

Subvet - Keilbasa

4) Ice Cream

Mom - Blue Bell ONLY

Subvet - it's cold, right?

5) How to eat chili

Mom - goes good on anything: noodles, mac n cheese, hamburgers, hot dogs, fritos, bread, cornbread....

Subvet - in a bowl with a spoon.

(So, where are you from and what would you say?)

10 comments:

Diane@Diane's Place said...

I like a wedge of cheddar with apple pie occasionally, but I rarely turn down vanilla ice cream if it's offered either.


1) What do you put on a hot dog?

Mustard or mustard AND chili. Period. Nothing else. No coneys or anything else on my hot dogs.

2) How to offer a beverage

I usually offer guests a coke, but sometimes ask if they'd like a soda or a sodey, if I'm feeling particularly hick-ish at the time.

3) Sausage

Yes. Almost any kind except blood sausage. Ewwww! Ick!

4) Ice Cream

Homemade vanilla is best, vanilla or chocolate soft serve is second. Also coffee, strawberry cheesecake or orange dreamsicle...YUM! Not real particular about brands, but if I'm going to eat it, I want a premium brand, no off brands or store brands.

5) How to eat chili

In a bowl, with lots of cayenne pepper, and with cornbread or crackers. And that's it for me, with the rare exception that I do like Frito pie occasionally or chili over burritos or tamales very rarely.

... said...

i've never tried cheese on my pie, but i know people who love it that way.
ketchup only on my dog.
i usually ask someone if there's something i can get them to drink. i never used to, but i try to use the word soda instead of coke.
summer sausage.
ice cream... two words: cold stone.
and my favorite way to eat chili is over macaroni pasta, with grated cheddar cheese on top.
stop your cat fighting and enjoy your food :]

Cookie..... said...

Sorry Sarah...but all my answers (including the cheese on the pie)would be the same as Subvet's.... we must be from about the same neck of the woods....

...and thanks agin fer the Thesaurus Thursday award. I've tried to shame "The Chief" from over at Smoldering Embers" to doing a verball battle of wit's over here on Thursdays...but he refuses. See what you can do OK....

It would be the Navy against the Marines....and probably very interestin....

ABNPOPPA said...

I will comment only on a couple as food is very precious to me.

Hot Dogs, you're both wrong, Loaded with EVERYTHING!!

How to offer a drink.

"you've been here more than once, you know where the refrigerator is, get what you want.

Ice Cream, Any kind will do!

Stephanie D said...

apple pie--undecorated or with ice cream

hot dogs--mustard and onions.

coke--use to be like Sarah's, (it's a Southern thing) til we moved to NM. Now it's soda or soft drink, though I'm slowly reconverting.

Ice Cream--homemade peach, or Breyer's, baby. If Breyers, peach is good, vanilla with vanilla bean is good, but best is Peanut Butter Tracks tied with Fried Ice Cream.
Oh, don't get me started on ice cream....

sausage--links if it's for breakfast; otherwise Italian or Kielbasa

Susan said...

I picked my grandson up from school today and took him to McDee's. When he got out of the car to go in the house I said "Here, Aric, do you want your coke?" He said, "Grandma it's a Sprite!!!"
Susan

Stephanie D said...

Oh, and chili? Well, what kind? Are we talking chili con carne, the kind with beans and meat? Then it's in a bowl with chopped onions and grated cheddar to top, or in leftover mac and cheese for chili mac.

Now if we're talking Hatch green chile--the sky's the limit! Yummmmm

Rita Loca said...

I love cheddar cheese with apple pie. I like to eat raw apples with cheddar as well.

Glenn B said...

I am an aopple pie purist, nothing on it except crust, nothing in it except a variety of apples, some cinnamon and maybe a bit of sugar.

Anonymous said...

Sarah....sounds like a Yankee vs. a Southern Belle if you ask me.
:-)