My Husband "Subvet" says that when our first son "Sonshine" was born the sun rose on our world, when our second son "Gator" was born the sun laughed and when our daughter "Sugars" was born all the flowers bloomed. That says it all.

"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...
It's about learning how to dance in the rain."
Anonymous

Your mind is the garden, your
thoughts are the seeds, the harvest can either be flowers or weeds. — William
Wordsworth

Thursday, March 27, 2008

Meme: Passion Quilt

Cookie tagged me for this meme.
I had a very hard time narrowing down what I thought was most important for students today to learn. Especially since I would for sure agree with what Cookie put as his! (And my oldest can prove that...) But here is my contribution to this Passion Quilt.


A PASSION QUILT

THE RULES:

1) Post a picture or make/take/create your own that captures what YOU are most passionate for students to learn about.

2) Give your picture a short title.

3) Title your blog post “Meme: Passion Quilt.”

4) Link back to this blog entry.

5) Include links to 5 (or more) educators.

I have 2, *breaking yet another rule...*

"Thank You"


"Firm Foundation"

the Quotations:

Patrick Henry

"We are apt to shut our eyes against a painful truth, and listen to the song of that siren till she transforms us into beasts. Is this the part of wise men, engaged in a great and arduous struggle for liberty? ... For my part, whatever anguish of spirit it may cost, I am willing to know the whole truth; to know the worst, and to provide for it."

- Patrick Henry, "Give me Liberty or Give Me Death", March 23, 1775.



John Hancock

"Some boast of being friends to government; I am a friend to righteous government, to a government founded upon the principles of reason and justice; but I glory in publicly avowing my eternal enmity to tyranny."

- John Hancock, March 5, 1774, Oration on the Anniversary of the Boston Massacre of 1770

Samuel Adams

"Courage, then, my countrymen, our contest is not only whether we ourselves shall be free, but whether there shall be left to mankind an asylum on earth for civil and religious liberty."

- Samuel Adams, "American Independence," Speech delivered at the State House in Philadelphia, August 1, 1776


George Washington

"To be prepared for war is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace."

- George Washington, First President of the United States, speech to both Houses of Congress, Jan. 8, 1790

James Madison

"Ambition must be made to counteract ambition. ... In framing a government which is to be administered by men over men, the great difficulty lies in this: you must first enable the government to control the governed; and in the next place oblige it to control itself."


- James Madison, Federalist Papers, number 51


Thomas Jefferson

"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal; that they are endowed by their Creator with inherent and inalienable rights; that among these, are life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness; that to secure these rights, governments are instituted among men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed"

- Declaration of Independence as originally written by Thomas Jefferson

Benjamin Franklin

""Idleness and pride tax with a heavier hand than kings and parliaments. If we can get rid of the former, we may easily bear the latter. "

- Benjamin Franklin, Letter on the Stamp Act, July 1, 1765

(both of these posters and many more can be purchased at founders of america)


I believe these are self explanatory and won't "gild the lily" as Subvet often says.

Who to tag?

PenofJen

Subvet

AirbornePoppa

Linda

Diane J.

3 comments:

Diane@Diane's Place said...

Hmm...okay, I'll see what I can do, although quotes are not my thing.

Linda said...

Er ... I am confused but I'll try to get this figured out so that I can participate.

It's not taking much to confuse me these days though!

Humble wife said...

Thanks for tagging me. I will try to get to this next week...looks like a neat thing to do.

Jennifer