My Husband "Subvet" says that when our first son "Sonshine" was born the sun rose on our world, when our second son "Gator" was born the sun laughed and when our daughter "Sugars" was born all the flowers bloomed. That says it all.

"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...
It's about learning how to dance in the rain."
Anonymous

Your mind is the garden, your
thoughts are the seeds, the harvest can either be flowers or weeds. — William
Wordsworth

Monday, March 31, 2008

Magic Moments Monday

Remember my little lady?

Her last name is hard to pronounce. I had her repeat it to me several times till I got it right and worked very hard at remembering it just right. Everyone else up there she's told to call by her first name....but not me. Is it because I'm the only one who says her last name correctly?

My last name is also hard to pronounce, as was my maiden name. It's irritating to have folk call you by the "wrong" name over and over. Even though to them it's "close enough" or "you know who I mean" None of us picked our names. But we would all like to be called by the correct name. Don't be afraid to ask before you slaughter it....but then make a point of repeating it correctly.

Also, give compliments freely and routinely.

This same lady, she weighs >250lbs and is paralyzed on one side. It's safe to say that she doesn't feel particularly pretty. I noticed that she started getting down a couple of weeks ago. Being stuck in bed using a bedpan, then having a nurse clean you up will do that to you pretty quick. Just on a lark I started saying "Hello Beautiful!" every time I walked in her room. You would be amazed at how she lights up. Usually with a "guffaw" and a laugh, a shake of her head... but she lights up all the same.
We all respond to compliments in the same way. Even somewhat silly ones.

Spreading the smiles is what it's all about!

Now go see Stephanie for more Magic Moments Monday posts!

5 comments:

ellen b. said...

Amen to that! A smile and kind word goes for miles...

... said...

oh, how sweet. i'm sure you brighten her day every time you walk into the world. establishments need more people like you. keep up the good work and thanks for sharing this with us.

Linda said...

You are exactly the type of nurse that we need more of - those who brighten their patients day just by a kind word or smile or simple act of kindness like remembering how one's name is pronounced.

Having lived with a Polish surname for more years than I care to remember I've had to grimace through mispronunciations way too many times. It's not that hard - it's just the "ski" at the end that makes everyone panic.

Susan said...

No wonder God has you "serving" where you are. Those people need you :o) You are living the Gospel and I am proud of you.
Susan

Stephanie D said...

I'm like you--I want my name pronounced correctly and I make sure my patients tell me how to pronounce theirs! Names are important.

J-man doesn't really care if our last name is mispronounced, but I tell him he didn't have to work for it as I did.