My Husband "Subvet" says that when our first son "Sonshine" was born the sun rose on our world, when our second son "Gator" was born the sun laughed and when our daughter "Sugars" was born all the flowers bloomed. That says it all.

"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...
It's about learning how to dance in the rain."
Anonymous

Your mind is the garden, your
thoughts are the seeds, the harvest can either be flowers or weeds. — William
Wordsworth

Saturday, March 1, 2008

Me and the March of Dimes

Well, Mommyof5 asked me to put up a post about her walk with the March of Dimes.

I've known Mommyof5 in real life for about 4 years now and I'm sure that she knows the stories of my kids. In case you were wondering about someone new to my blog asking for a "plug" in a random comment. (I have folk out there who want to protect me.) :-)

Here's what she said, "I am doing a 5 mile walk with my MOMS Club for the March of Dimes March for Babies. I am taking my 6 month old son with me. I did this walk last year and really enjoyed it. But let me tell you that I cried each time I read the little signs they had for each of the babies that died soon young and so early. Any amount you can give will help. My website will accept as little as $5 or as much as you can give. I am trying to $500. Please pass this on to anyone you know!!"

For those not "in the know" MOMS Club stands for Mothers of Multiples. You can learn more about Mommyof5 at her blog (and see cute pics of ALLLLL those kids.

Now, let me tell you about ME and the March of Dimes. I have been a lifelong avid reader. A true Bibliophile. Each summer when I was in Elementary School my mom would sign me up (through the school I think) with the March of Dimes Summer reading marathon. (I don't know if this is still going or not, but if it is my kids will be signed up.) I would get folk to sponsor me (a dime or so) for every book I read over the summer. Then I would do what I did best....read. At the end of the summer we'd collect the money from the sponsors and send it in to the March of Dimes. Then came the best part! I'd get a medal bronze or silver or gold and a certificate saying I'd "won" the marathon. I kept those medals forever. Now, at the time I really had no idea who the "March of Dimes" was or what the fundraiser was all about, I just knew I got a medal for reading. Since I wasn't ever any good at "sports" these were the only medals I was likely to receive. As I grew and developed my dream of becoming a Pediatrician and later as a Pediatric Nurse I realized more about the purpose to the March of Dimes.

Then I had kids.

Premature kids.

3 of them.

1 of whom I had to leave at the hospital in the NICU after I was discharged home....about an hour away.

Folks, I've said it many times and I can't stress it enough. Life is FRAGILE. Especially the life of a child. Do not take for granted that babies will be born healthy. Things change in the blink of an eye. Those of us who have seen our precious infant hooked up to more wires than this computer know just how fragile life really is. (I see you nodding....you know.)

Anything that can be done to help these tiny ones start life stronger is a good thing.


So, Here's the March of Dimes homepage. Here's Mommyof5's walk with the March of Dimes website.

And yes, I cry every time I pass a March of Dimes billboard too. I know how lucky I am to have my children to hold every night. Believe me, I know.

4 comments:

Diane@Diane's Place said...

Jessica was on the local MOD board as a youth representative. They did all kinds of fund raisers throughout the year and she and Lamar always did the walk every year. I sponsored since I couldn't walk.

I'll go check out the links....

mommyof7 (2inheaven) said...

Thank you so much for doing this!! I greatly appreaciate. And thank you for sharing your stories of your own children!!!

Anonymous said...

I know, too. Love you!

... said...

we can thank God that those tiny, fragile babies are now thriving, energetic children. thanks for sharing this part of your story.