My Husband "Subvet" says that when our first son "Sonshine" was born the sun rose on our world, when our second son "Gator" was born the sun laughed and when our daughter "Sugars" was born all the flowers bloomed. That says it all.

"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...
It's about learning how to dance in the rain."
Anonymous

Your mind is the garden, your
thoughts are the seeds, the harvest can either be flowers or weeds. — William
Wordsworth

Sunday, November 30, 2008

My Advent Calendar

I searched high and low for an advent calendar that would tell the Christmas story in scripture. And couldn't find a single one. Some had Bible verses...but they didn't weave together to tell the whole story.

Therefore I have made my own, using one of those generic wooden box things with 25 doors, Scripture and clipart.

You, my readers get to join me on this journey through the Advent story this month. As each day I will be posting the scripture that my kids will find in the box for that day. For the kids, I have a large poster on the wall where they will tape each day's scripture and picture as we read what we've found so far. This is how I will teach my young autistic-ish children the very important story behind our celebrations.

I hope you will move with me through Advent in joyful anticipation of Christmas Day.

pop quiz:
who followed the star?

10 comments:

Stephanie D said...

The Wise Men! And they didn't get there the night Jesus was born, either, contrary to popular belief.

What a neat idea!

Susan said...

Very smart idea and way to present the Story of Jesus birth. The story of the wise men following the star is misrepresented in our normal telling of the story but they can learn that part later, as we did!!!
Susan

ABNPOPPA said...

The PAPPRAZZI!!

Yea!!! I win, right? huh? I do win, ......don't I? OK, the Wise Men.

I got flustered a couple of years ago looking for a decent, readable, and understandable by various ages of my grandchildren I basically, cut and pasted my own Christmas story using the verses of the books of the Bible. It got the point across and I try to read it to the little ones every year.

Great idea MM

Pops

EDGE said...

Love the music! Hope you had a great Thanksgiving!

Lori in South Dakota said...

I smile every time I read your blog, the music and your kids start it all!

Sarah - Kala said...

Great idea for the wee ones! I bought a cabinet type one made by Fontanini? You just put up the next animal/star/shepherd/etc. until the whole nativity is done. Of course, I have much older kids than you and this works out for us. If they were still wee as are yours, I would probably resort to making my own.

Dapoppins said...

I trailed you here from Live and in Color!

Merry Christmas! LOVE your music.

I have one of those wooden advent things, I always wanted one even if the doors are constantly falling off. But now I don't know what to do with it! I really like the idea of the scriptures and then putting them on a poster in order...
I don't know if I will get to it this year, unless ? Maybe I will enlist the kids help and call it school today...

anyway, love your blog!

... said...

what a great idea. i'll look forward to seeing your advent calendar each day.

btw... love the new picture of the kids.

nancy said...

You know, I appreciate your Advent Calendar. We made one of our own this year (Lizi and I) and I almost did the Christmas Story. Instead, I used key scriptures that prophecy the birth of Jesus, along with holiday season reminders. In case you didn't see it, it's Here
Nancy

nancy said...

And of course it was the Magi, and they probably didn't arrive until Jesus was about 2 years old.
Nancy