My Husband "Subvet" says that when our first son "Sonshine" was born the sun rose on our world, when our second son "Gator" was born the sun laughed and when our daughter "Sugars" was born all the flowers bloomed. That says it all.

"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...
It's about learning how to dance in the rain."
Anonymous

Your mind is the garden, your
thoughts are the seeds, the harvest can either be flowers or weeds. — William
Wordsworth

Thursday, August 21, 2008

Who You Gonna Call???

OK, this is another I've Got a Question, You've Got an Answer post. So get ready to weigh in folks.


Who do you call or what do you do when the following things happen in your home??

A) The oven element breaks into several small pieces

B) The air conditioner suddenly stops keeping you comfortably cool

C) The cat chews through the plug wire on the clippers you use to cut hair (or any other wire, including speaker wires)

D) The dishwasher starts making a scary sound and quits cleaning your dishes

E) You start getting nasty looking grains of "stuff" out of the shower head (it isn't helped by taking off the shower head and cleaning it out, that just reveals big chunks of "stuff" in the pipe)

F) The center leg on your inherited Duncan V dining room table wobbles and is in danger of falling off.

G) The burner on your stovetop stops heating up

H) The blower on the heater/AC stops blowing and starts making a grinding/rattling noise

I) The bathtub faucet drips and the knob no longer turns it on or off

J) All of a sudden the dryer takes 4 times as long to dry each load

K) It's time to change the oil in your minivan

L) There's water in the cupboard under your sink, revealing a pipe that has become disconnected

M) There's a stopped up drain that plunger and drain-o can't help

Let me know how you handle these situations....and I'll tell you what I do.

I call my husband. He has, by himself, fixed every one of these problems and many more that I can't remember right now.

A and G he ordered replacement parts and installed them, B he checked the refrigerant levels in the AC, added more refrigerant and cleaned the condensing coils (both inside and outside), C he splices wires with apparent ease, D he disassembled and reassembled our old dishwasher about every 6 weeks for a few months before we replaced it, E he drained the hot water heater and replaced the heating rods which had corroded (it was this corrosion that was traveling through the pipes), F he put a dry wall mount in the hole where the leg screwed on so the screw would hold, H he disassembled the fan motor, repacked the ball bearings and reassembled it...I think if memory serves he ultimately replaced the entire motor as it was shot, I he replaced the tub faucets, J he snaked out the drain line to the dryer...then hooked his wetvac up to the garden hose and sucked out a bunch of water that had gotten in the line. K he always changes our oil, L he replaced the pipe and M snaked out the drain.

He thinks that these things are "no big deal" I disagree.



He is "da man"!

I am very lucky to have him in my life. A great husband, a great Dad, a great friend, a great cook.

I love you very much Subvet, thanks for sticking around this crazy lady.

6 comments:

ellen b. said...

I call Dear every time!! Oh the gunk issue. We just had that problem in Washington and found that the connections from the water supply to the water heater had gotten all black and gunky inside so we replaced them. We, who am I kidding, I mean HE...

Linda said...

I need me my own Subvet as when these sorts of things happen I either have to try to fix them myself or rely on the mercy of my landlord who is none to quick to get over here to make repairs since he and his wife divorced and he no longer lives next door.

Susan said...

I'm blessed to have one of these "can & will do" husbands, too. I love that about him!!!
Susan

... said...

did all of that happen in the same period of time? i'd say that's some bad luck.

yep, that subvet is a keeper =)

Heather K said...

Hey Sarah...I thought I left a comment on this post...? maybe I didn't finish typing it and absent mindedly closed the window..? :P

nancy said...

Sounds like a keeper, and I should know. I do the same thing you do! No, I don't call Subvet. I call my husband, Captain. He can fix anything and even makes tools to help him fix the things there are no tools for.
Nancy