My Husband "Subvet" says that when our first son "Sonshine" was born the sun rose on our world, when our second son "Gator" was born the sun laughed and when our daughter "Sugars" was born all the flowers bloomed. That says it all.

"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...
It's about learning how to dance in the rain."
Anonymous

Your mind is the garden, your
thoughts are the seeds, the harvest can either be flowers or weeds. — William
Wordsworth

Saturday, August 2, 2008

Show and Tell

Show and Tell





This is my and my grandmother's quilt.

Back when I was first married my Grandmother decided that she couldn't do any more quilting and gave me about 5 large boxes of all her material/scraps/quilting stuff.

In it I found all of her "tester blocks" and 7 blocks plus a lot of extra fabric for a lap quilt she didn't get finished.

When Sonshine was a baby I was going to my Grandparent's house about every 3 months. About 2 weeks before one of these visits I decided that I just had to make her a quilt. So I took all those tester blocks and the unfinished lap quilt and made them into same sized blocks then put them together with sashing to make this quilt. Due to how fast I needed it done I tied the quilt instead of quilting it. Then I took it to Grandmother.

Later, she replaced one of the blocks that "didn't match" with another one, and she went back and quilted the whole thing, taking out my ties.

From all I've been told this quilt was very special to her, when she became hospitalized due to her strokes, she asked especially for them to bring it to her.

6 comments:

Linda said...

Not only is that a gorgeous quilt to wrap up in but the memories wrapped up in it are even more beautiful.

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful quilt. I love all the colors!!!

quilt'n-mama said...

I love quilts, especially those with special stories! Thanks for sharing it with us!

Blessings,
Gayly
www.quilt-n-mama.blogspot.com

... said...

it's a beautiful quilt. i love the old fashioned looking quilts. and i admire those who can quilt. thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

This is so lovely and I like that your grandmother made the squares.

Stephanie D said...

Those are the best kind of quilts--the ones that just evolve. I'm glad it made its way back to you.