My Husband "Subvet" says that when our first son "Sonshine" was born the sun rose on our world, when our second son "Gator" was born the sun laughed and when our daughter "Sugars" was born all the flowers bloomed. That says it all.

"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...
It's about learning how to dance in the rain."
Anonymous

Your mind is the garden, your
thoughts are the seeds, the harvest can either be flowers or weeds. — William
Wordsworth

Monday, August 25, 2008

Stuff and Nonsense

well, there are several posts running around in my head chasing each other in circles till you can't tell who's chasing who like my kids do in the living room!

I wanted to say for all our new Thesaurus Thursday players Welcome aboard! I love seeing new "faces" join in our game. This is a blessing to me as the definitions y'all come up with never fail to keep me laughing all week long. You can post a comment on the Thesaurus Thursday post with either Silly or Smarty definitions at any time during the week, Just click on the link below that bear/candy cane ticker to go straight to the post. Then sometime on Thursday I look over all the comments to that post and pick winners, as well as new words for the next week. I actually recommend getting your definitions posted early cuz sometimes several people have the same thought....great minds abound around here! :-)


In response to Airborne Poppa's comment...
I am a Pediatrics Nurse, have been since my first job out of nursing school. I've only been taking care of adults since January. My current job is supposed to be both Big people and Small people....but there aren't many kiddos in the hosp right now...in 2 months it will be a very different story and I will be a much happier camper. Cranky kids don't bother me. Cranky adults I think need a good spanking.

I got "fired" last night. Apparently the cranky family thought I should have seen that the cranky old man's 2 day old feeding tube site was infected. I reinforced the dressing...didn't change it. So they asked to not have me again last night. Years ago this would have broken my heart....now? frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn. The only thing me changing that dressing would possibly have done was earn him 1 extra dose of antibiotics. (and hack him off for me waking him to pull tape off his belly---and hack off the MD for me waking him up paging him) Oh, and they're mad at the MD who didn't have him on antibiotics after putting in that J-tube in the first place....and they're against having any "non-American" (meaning non white) nurses....and they've fired 2 or 3 other nurses for various 'issues'......

Here's the thing. If you or your loved one is in the hospital. Don't get cranky with the staff. There's only so many nurses who work there and you will eventually run out of people "you like" to care for you. The only one you hurt is yourself.

As for me, I traded a cranky old man with his cranky hovering family who wanted to stand and chat/gripe while I was trying to work/chart for a sweet little 88 year old lady who talked non-stop about how you choose what you do in this life. It's a waste of time being anything other than happy, accept your trials and find the humor in them.

As you might be able to guess....she was much more my style :-)

I wanted to take a tape recorder in there and just bottle her outlook. And believe you me, she's had a TOUGH life.

On a loosely related note. I've been asked by Heidi to guest post at The Extraordinary Mom's Network this is a cool website all about Moms encouraging Moms. I am very flattered that Heidi saw fit to invite me to post....and am working on writing up a scenario that we experience every Sunday morning at church. Once I get it written and she gets it up and running I'll let y'all know so you can go check it out. It's worth the read, or will be if I can just do it justice. :-)

Someone mentioned that the bear moved! Yes, these yoyos are going more quickly than I thought. Thank goodness! I hope to have them done early so I can work on Sugars' baby quilt...oh and finish The Never Ending Cross Stitch Project....but what's really calling my name is my Momma's Quilt. I've got it all planned in my head and every time I see the bumper pad (which is now on the shelf in my closet awaiting deconstruction) this quilt calls to me a little louder. Of course, I have to finish her baby quilt first A) so I'll have the squares from it for the Momma Quilt and B) so it'll get done in time for her to start pre-school next year.

So, I'll leave you with Mightymom's stratagy for dealing with rainy days Part 3.
Part 1 was haircuts.
Part 2 was "Follow the leader"
Part 3 was Dance! Dance! Dance!

As I was too tired to go to Mass this morning after working last night we all stayed home and I went to bed. Then I got up early and let Subvet go to Mass alone. (Did you hear him shout "Yipee!!!" on his way out the door?) This means I had the kiddos again tonight. So I cranked up the CD player and the 4 of us danced.

I had to go hunt up this one song. It's been my theme song ever since it was released. It's had many different meanings to me over the years. I seem to play it a lot in the last days of each summer since we started sending Sonshine to Pre-school.

In my opinion, this is the best song that Garth Brooks has written, and the best video he made. If you know me at all, you're gonna understand. If you don't understand....."Come in, and know me better man!"


lyrics here


2 Days left till school starts!!!

6 comments:

Linda said...

Cranky patients' families are much like cranky 911 callers ... they all need to grow up and stop acting like such babies and let us do our jobs to the best of our abilities.

Great song, too! Especially at 5:55 in the morning!

nancy said...

That 88-yr-old sounds like the kind of old lady I hope I'll be if I get that far. I think people excuse crankiness in older folks when, if they only knew it, these folks were probably *always* cranky. Some people are just like that! It would help, too, if people did not expect us to read their minds. Simple, straightforward communication goes a long way.
Nancy

... said...

looking forward to your guest post.

Stephanie D said...

Great song! Not being a country music afficionado, I've never heard it before, but I like it.

Don't folks just make you want to bang your head against the wall sometimes? Better still, THEIR heads?

Susan said...

Very newsy, interesting post. I agree with you about the "crank". One person like that can make so many other people unhappy. I trust you won't have too many like that. Praise God you got the sweet one as a replacement.
Susan

ABNPOPPA said...

Way to go MM, If they want to be cranky, let be cranky with someone else. Life is too short and too good to let someone bring you down!

My motto is: "if I got any better I would be twins!" Live life to its fullest!

Pops