My Husband "Subvet" says that when our first son "Sonshine" was born the sun rose on our world, when our second son "Gator" was born the sun laughed and when our daughter "Sugars" was born all the flowers bloomed. That says it all.

"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...
It's about learning how to dance in the rain."
Anonymous

Your mind is the garden, your
thoughts are the seeds, the harvest can either be flowers or weeds. — William
Wordsworth

Sunday, July 15, 2007

What's the "wrong" height?

Pen of Jen mentioned that everyone in her family, other than she, were the "right" height. This got me to thinking.....

Last year at preschool Joe's teacher was a big black woman. Ms Gilda. About 6' tall. His teacher's aide was a small white woman. Ms Kathie. She claimed to be 4'11" (I think she stood on tiptoe to get that measurement) The first time I met them I thought, well, that's one way to teach him about diversity!! As the school year passed I realized how Ms Kathie had the better end of that deal. She didn't have to bend or stoop to see the kids and she actually fit in the tiny chairs. They are both wonderful teachers who loved my son and truly helped him to blossom during the year. I was sad at the last day of school.

The other side of the height coin. Subvet as I said in the last post is 6'3" I'm 5'5". I'll never forget when we were first married, we would go grocery shopping together. It was our "outing" and we enjoyed it. We'd just moved to a new neighborhood and were in a new store looking for the last thing on our list. Subvet says, it's two aisles over, that way. I looked at him like he'd landed off the moon. "What???!!" "How do you know that??" "It's on the sign hanging down over the middle of the aisle." My jaw dropped with a thud. "You can see that sign...TWO AISLES OVER???" "*shrug* well....yeah....just look over the tops of the shelves...." I think I just growled. Oh I forgot to say we were in the middle of the aisle at the time...not at the end.

A few years ago we went to Subvet's family reunion. It was a lot of fun to meet all his cousins. At one point I was looking all over for him. Finally I asked a cousin if she'd seen him. She must have thought I was drunk (I don't drink)and said, he's right over there, talking to Vince and a couple of other cousins. I looked and sure enough I'd looked right past him. See, he's usually the tallest one in the room. So when I look for him I just scan the heads and his usually sticks out (or up). Well, in that room full of cousins ol Subvet was amongst the SHORT folk!! Almost all of his cousins are 6'2" and taller. Up to cousin Vince who is 6'9" and was a hoot to dance with for little ol me!!

This leads me to a post that I've been saving for awhile. It's lyrics to a song written and sung by Bon Jovi. It can be found on their Have a Nice Day album. This song has been my anthem through all the ups and downs with therapy for the boys. I listen to it often and I still start crying at the end. I'll bold the lines that make me cry. You can figure out why. If all you know about Bon Jovi is "Shot Through the Heart" or "Wanted Dead or Alive" you might take the time to check out some of their newer stuff. They've aged well (but then, I've been a fan for 20 years now).

Welcome to Wherever You Are

Maybe we're all different but we're still the same
We all got the blood of Eden running through our veins
I know sometimes it's hard for you to see
You're caught between just who you are and who you want to be
If you feel alone and lost and need a friend
Remember every new beginning is some beginning's end


Welcome to wherever you are
This is your life; you made it this far
Welcome, you got to believe
That right here, right now
You're exactly where you're supposed to be
Welcome to wherever you are

When everybody's in and you're left out
And you feel you're drowning in the shadow of a doubt
Everyone's a miracle in their own way
Just listen to yourself, not what other people say
When it seems you're lost, alone and feelin' down
Remember, everybody's different; just take a look around

Welcome to wherever you are
This is your life; you made it this far
Welcome, you got to believe
Right here, right now
You're exactly where you're supposed to be

Be who you want to be
Be who you are
Everyone's a hero
Everyone's a star
When you want to give up and your heart's about to break
Remember that you're perfect; God makes no mistakes


Welcome to wherever you are
This is your life; you made it this far
Welcome, you got to believe
Right here, right now
You're exactly where you're supposed to be
I say welcome...
I say welcome...
Welcome...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, I can NOT believe I became a fan of Bon Jovi 20 years ago. It makes me feel really old!! I still remember the day my mom took my to the record store and I bought a Slippery When Wet cassette tape with my allowance money!! =) I haven't heard this song, but I loved the lyrics and I should check it out.

My husband is a former Marine so I know what all "those" words mean too(in your intro) but I'm with you, I don't like hearing them either!!!!

Are you planning to go back to work as a nurse when the kids are bigger? When my older four started school I went back to get my nursing degree, but I've put it on hold again since I've had my baby. But Pediatrics is where I would really love to work, too!!

MightyMom said...

Hello Kitty!
(couldn't resist.) Glad to see you commenting here. I love to have anyone who'll say my hooligans are adorable! :-) Please come back, and leave lots of comments! heeheehee.
Bon Jovi rocks! (just don't tell my hubby!) I said that we had many things in common. Subvet works nights (mostly), he's Catholic (I'm Methodist) and praying the Rosary brings me comfort also. And now nursing, kindred spirits!! I will go back to work after the kids are out of school. Unless a catastrophy dictates otherwise. We believe that when a child is "older" in middle & high school is when they more than ever need a stay at home parent.

Pen of Jen said...

Too funny!!!

I make the comment as I would prefer to match my weight!

But I understand about tall husbands Bill is 6'3"(I am 5'0")

The problems I encounter are always the same, I have never been able to reach past the second shelf in the kitchen(and then it is only the front) I can't reach the bottom of the washer, I have to jump up on it to get the last few socks, blah blah blah.

Poor Bill is worse...he would bang his head every time he took laundry down in a place we lived in Germany. He has to duck under trees, and he nearly amputates his legs if he gets in the van after I have driven!

Fortunately we did what I wanted with the kids...the oldest 2 boys are 5'10, probably both will hit 6' and the 3rd maybe 5'10!
Balance balance balance!

MightyMom said...

Imagine being 6'3 on a submarine! And yes, as we only have 1 car it is now a habit for me to move the seat all the way back before I get out :-)