My Husband "Subvet" says that when our first son "Sonshine" was born the sun rose on our world, when our second son "Gator" was born the sun laughed and when our daughter "Sugars" was born all the flowers bloomed. That says it all.

"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...
It's about learning how to dance in the rain."
Anonymous

Your mind is the garden, your
thoughts are the seeds, the harvest can either be flowers or weeds. — William
Wordsworth

Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Lent Information

Fr. Philip Powell, a Dominican friar currently studying in Rome, is a friend of mine. He has written a wonderful sermon about the meaning of "giving stuff up" for Lent. Please go and read it here. Let him know I sent you, and let me know what you think!

2 comments:

Adrienne said...

Father Philip is wonderful. I "heart" him!

Yes - I'm still reading on my "days off". I would fall so far behind if I didn't. My Google Reader is at 649 right now and, since I have errands to run today, it will probably be over 1000 by this evening. Thank goodness I read really, really fast!

Linda said...

Father Powell makes some very good points in this sermon but the one thing that seems to ring the loudest (truest) to me is that Lent isn't so much about giving something up but about giving time to God instead. So perhaps instead of people "giving up" things for Lent, they should be vowing to "pick" something up instead - something that would bring them closer to God as I doubt that there are too many people out there who even remember why they aren't eating meat on Fridays or why they gave up chocolate for Lent.

Too many times people forget WHY they participate in traditions - whether they be religious traditions or secular traditions or even family traditions - so it's good to take the time to remember WHY we do the things we do.

WHY do we celebrate the 4th of July in this country? WHY do we celebrate Labor Day in this country? WHY do Christians participate in Lent? WHY do we celebrate Christmas? WHY do we have family reunions?

You can't just do something because your church or your family or even your country told you to do it ... you need to know WHY you're doig it.

Reflection may just be key here.