My Husband "Subvet" says that when our first son "Sonshine" was born the sun rose on our world, when our second son "Gator" was born the sun laughed and when our daughter "Sugars" was born all the flowers bloomed. That says it all.

"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...
It's about learning how to dance in the rain."
Anonymous

Your mind is the garden, your
thoughts are the seeds, the harvest can either be flowers or weeds. — William
Wordsworth

Sunday, May 18, 2008

yak yak yak

Well, yesterday the morning sun came in our windows so I took a bunch of cute pics of the kids, but of course I'm stuck at work for the 2nd of my 6 nights almost straight so you may have to wait a bit to see them.

So, as I sit here hoping that my Diabets patient doesn't go into shock on me (blood sugar of 557 at 2130, and 103 at 0200, and 80 at 0500 for those of you who're interested) I'm reflecting on the stories I've heard from these old folks. There was the 77 yr old lady who had seen Roosevelt, Carter and Ford in person during their presidencies in her lifetime. Her mom took them to see Roosevelt on one of his train tours of the country. She told me about standing on the platform for hours just waiting for him to come out and waive. Then she told of how Ford came to her son's college graduation. There were all these really nice cars with flags then this old beatup station wagon pulls up and out steps the President. She was so close that she stood right next to a Secret Service agent, made her a bit nervous.

Then there's the 98 yr old lady I have this week who you'd never hear from if you didn't go down there. She does everything for herself. A real sweetheart. She has fewer health issues than I do.

There was the 95 yr old lady who's smarter than all of us put together (this was AFTER her stroke). Said she makes a point of learning something new every day. And reading something thought provoking daily. Her eyesight started failing her so her kids came daily to read to her.

I'll tell you the truth, it all boils down to Newton. That which is at rest tends to stay at rest and that which is in motion tends to stay in motion. (yes, I'm paraphrasing) Also refered to as use it or lose it!

So, fess up people!
What do YOU do daily to stay mentally active

4 comments:

... said...

blog!

and a few other things... read, play simple computer games that use strategic and word skills, engage in conversation with my super-duper smart son, etc.

Stephanie D said...

Not a darn thing.

Almost 6 straight? Whose list are you on, gal?

Anonymous said...

Oh yes. Oh yes.
I photo, I read poetry and fiction, I look up the words that I don't know (daily) and I read very challenging political blogs. Yay!
You must also use it or lose it physically. ;-)

nancy said...

AMEN to that, Sister! I think reading is a good way to stay mentally proficient, especially if it is about new things, places, etc. Learning new skills and going to new places, too.
Nancy