My Husband "Subvet" says that when our first son "Sonshine" was born the sun rose on our world, when our second son "Gator" was born the sun laughed and when our daughter "Sugars" was born all the flowers bloomed. That says it all.

"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...
It's about learning how to dance in the rain."
Anonymous

Your mind is the garden, your
thoughts are the seeds, the harvest can either be flowers or weeds. — William
Wordsworth

Thursday, May 29, 2008

I cried

I read this and I cried.

I cried for hours, literally.

The little girl in me cried for the memories of being ridiculed, shamed and humiliated by my teachers in elementary school.

So I cried,

And I cried.

The mother in me cried for the fear that this could one day be my baby who is ridiculed, shamed and humiliated by his teacher.

My baby who is so sweet and loving, and so different.

So I cried,

And I cried.

The nurse in me cried for the boy who spent the rest of the day in the nurse's office and now screams when approaching the school after being ridiculed, shamed and humiliated by his teacher.

So I cried,

And I cried.

The American in me cried for the loss of respect this story will generate toward the good and caring teachers that are working to make a difference in each child's life, without ever having a child ridiculed, shamed and humiliated.

So I cried,

And I cried.


I have spent most of today crying about this story, this situation.

Now I'm mad.

Subvet-ism #230 "You're either a part of the problem or a part of the solution."

Here's how to join in the solution.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sarah,
I wish I had the perfect words for you. This woman is obviously very short-sighted, to put it mildly. I did call the phone number on SubVet's blog, and I was transferred to some superintendent's office, who explained that the teacher is being investigated by the district, but that all legal inquiries have been dropped at this time. *sigh*
I wish we could depend on people to be decent...more than decent.
Children are the innocents...and we are not worthy of their trust.
I'm at a loss.

... said...

i cried, too. whenever i think about it, i literally feel sick. i keep waiting to read/hear that it was some kind of mistake - some kind of game that went terribly wrong. but it seems like it's exactly how it was reported.

i want to personally ask this teacher what the heck she was thinking. i want to know what she thinks this teaches the other kids in the classroom. i want to know why she wasn't that little boy's champion.

i know i may never know these answers but it makes me crazy wanting to know.

btw, i do have the email addresses for the teacher, principal, vice principal, and some of the other teachers. i thought of writing to them but i'm sure it would go no where. if you want them, just let me know.

Diane@Diane's Place said...

Sad, then mad, in that order. I just hope that child and any others are loved enough to counterbalance the damage that ignorant uncaring teacher inflicted.