My Husband "Subvet" says that when our first son "Sonshine" was born the sun rose on our world, when our second son "Gator" was born the sun laughed and when our daughter "Sugars" was born all the flowers bloomed. That says it all.

"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...
It's about learning how to dance in the rain."
Anonymous

Your mind is the garden, your
thoughts are the seeds, the harvest can either be flowers or weeds. — William
Wordsworth

Sunday, May 11, 2008

Happy Mother's Day!

To one and all!!

I read a Dear Abby once from a man whose wife refused to stand when their church honored mothers on Mother's Day. She said it was sad for the women who wanted to be mothers and aren't and she wouldn't add to that. He said she deserved to be recognized for all that she'd done raising their children.

I remember well those years when we were wanting to get pregnant and couldn't how it felt to not be a mother on Mother's Day. We also have a very good family friend who never did become a mother....and now her peers are having grandchildren. I have "adopted" her as my kiddos' Grandmother and I send her cards and such on Mother's Day and throughout the year when I send them out to the other Grandmothers. I hope this is a happy thing for her and not a sad thing. But I strongly believe that the only thing you have to do to be a Grandmother is love a child, and I know she has loved my kids from the time we first knew they were coming.

So, on this Mother's Day I challenge you, oh faithful readers.
Think of a lady who has loved your kids/grandkids who does not have children of her own, and send her a card/flowers this week.

And should a childless woman happen by my humble abode this week, remember, we are all called to different lives and bearing/raising children is not the only way to share your love with children. I would encourage you to find an overworked, worn out mother to "adopt" (we're not hard to find) and offer your time, love and support.

Remember, true adoption happens in the heart, not in the lawyer's office.

4 comments:

Linda said...

What a lovely, lovely post and a lovely, lovely gesture.

Hope you had a marvelous Mother's Day!

nancy said...

Great post. I hope everyone will take it to heart.
Nancy

... said...

beautifully said. most of us who have kids probably can't imagine what it's like to live a life without them.

Anonymous said...

Wowee!
What a great post...sorry I'm late.
I have some adopted grannys...I love them all.