My Husband "Subvet" says that when our first son "Sonshine" was born the sun rose on our world, when our second son "Gator" was born the sun laughed and when our daughter "Sugars" was born all the flowers bloomed. That says it all.

"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...
It's about learning how to dance in the rain."
Anonymous

Your mind is the garden, your
thoughts are the seeds, the harvest can either be flowers or weeds. — William
Wordsworth

Thursday, January 31, 2008

Sarah's Simple Sewing Secrets.

Well, the last time I did a SSSS post I told you all about my most favorite sewing utensil...so tonight I'm going to tell you all about my second favorite tool.



The seam ripper!!!

applause applause applause.

The fixer of all screwups! (Mine is very well used!!)

There are two ways to use the seam ripper, the easy way and the hard way. I've taken about 30 pics of these and this is the best I can do with my crappy camera so bear with me.

We'll start with the easy way. When you have a seam that just isn't right and you've decided you're going to spend the time trying to redo it you need to pull out the old seam.


The easy way is to lay your sewn layers of material down together and use your seam ripper to break the thread of every 3-4th stitch. Then you pull the layers of material apart and pluck out all the little threads.


Now, here's the hard way. If your thread has knotted or you've resewn the same place then this will help you take it out. But use this way sparingly as it tends to damage the material a bit.




Open the two layers of material and pull apart until the thread catches. Then use the seam ripper to break several threads between the layers, pull apart again.....repeat.

No comments: