My Husband "Subvet" says that when our first son "Sonshine" was born the sun rose on our world, when our second son "Gator" was born the sun laughed and when our daughter "Sugars" was born all the flowers bloomed. That says it all.

"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...
It's about learning how to dance in the rain."
Anonymous

Your mind is the garden, your
thoughts are the seeds, the harvest can either be flowers or weeds. — William
Wordsworth

Sunday, May 16, 2010

The Tartan Thistle part 2 of 3

If you're just stopping by, part 1 can be found here.

And yes, you were right! these are Kleenex box covers! and there were several of them throughout the house. Too Cute!!

This post will show the First floor of the house.

This is the inside of the front door, if you've known me long you know I'm a total sucker for lace and to see this window treatment made entirely of rose/mauve lace just made me melt!


Stephanie asked how far I was from home. About 20 min, give or take if you count drive time. About a million miles if you count mental distance.

This guy sits just inside the door. And you can see that I spent my time talking on the phone and taking pictures....simultaneously! It's sad I know, but one of the things I was looking forward to was making a couple phone calls....and being able to talk UNINTERRUPTED FOR AS LONG AS I WANTED!!! felt soooo good!



This guy also greets you as you walk in....for some reason I was quite smitten with him!


As you might imagine tartan (or plaid) and thistles can be found everywhere at The Tartan Thistle. From this table setting in the foyer to the dinnerware.

From the Foyer we'll move into the Parlor.

Looking at the front of the house you will notice an octagonal tower. This is the inside of that tower on the first floor.



This part of the house with its amazing woodwork is all original to the first 1880's one story home.




isn't this piano beautiful?














I just love these details!






Flowers, fresh, dried and silk were everywhere.











This is just the neatest little dish with edges turned in and gilded.




From the Parlor to the canopied Dining Room.














Part 3 of our tour will take us up to the second floor. I was fortunate to have the entire second floor all to myself as the only other tenant was a business traveler in the first floor room...whom I never saw or heard!
If I ever have a 2 story house I'm remembering this lamp! What a great place to put a lamp! and I tried to pick it up...it's bolted into the top of the banister!


And no searching for the cord to turn it on either!!




I sooo love this idea!!

6 comments:

Stephanie D said...

Love that carving on the bannister, too! What a lot of lovely things to look at! And the plates are just too cute!

ellen b. said...

What a grand old house and that light switch at the base of the stairs is great!!

Linda said...

I just love that canopied dining room! The only other one I've ever seen was at a house down in Gettysburg where they held seances!

The whole house is totally fascinating and looks like quite the nice escape - a great place to make a phone call or two!

A Bit of the Blarney said...

The piano is indeed gorgeous!!!!! A real work of art!! Was a beautiful place to visit! What fun! Cathy

... said...

i'm jealous. looks like a beautiful and wonderful and comforting place. i'm sure i'd love the history just as much as you did. glad you had such a good time.

Anonymous said...

You're killin' me, you know that, right??

I miss this place SO MUCH!

I hope you said 'HI!" to Tom and Karen for me. Good food, good people, good rest.
You deserve it.