My Husband "Subvet" says that when our first son "Sonshine" was born the sun rose on our world, when our second son "Gator" was born the sun laughed and when our daughter "Sugars" was born all the flowers bloomed. That says it all.

"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...
It's about learning how to dance in the rain."
Anonymous

Your mind is the garden, your
thoughts are the seeds, the harvest can either be flowers or weeds. — William
Wordsworth

Saturday, January 31, 2009

Thesaurus Thursday

Welcome to Thesaurus Thursday, 2009.

This game has brought me great joy and taught me many new words! I'm glad to continue it into this new year. Welcome to all newcomers!! Take a minute and peruse our "game rules" here, then come back to this post and join in for big fun and enormous laughs!


Are you ready??

Last week's official definitions were:
mydriasis - excessive dilatation of the pupil of the eye, as the result of disease, drugs, or the like.

muzzy - 1) confused; muddled. 2) dull; mentally hazy
ie, ME for the last week!!

Congrats to Smarty Pants Henrietta and Lori!
Lori in South Dakota said...
muzzy--how I feel in the morning before a pot of coffee, especially if I've been out the night before.

Henrietta said...
Muzzy, lovely old English word, another of my mother's favorites. Probably the closest thing in the modern day USA is fibro 'brain fog'. Very common 'morning after the night before' syndrome also found in medical interns after a tough rotation.


Congrats to these Silly Geese:

AZ, who frequently hides in the weeds, (you need to start a blog!) and Airborne Poppa aka Pops. They win for having the absolute SILLIEST comment conversation this blog's seen in awhile!! love it.

AZ said...
Mydriasis: This is easy, "mydriasis" is a medical term to describe the condition of buttocks of furnace room workers, as in "Jeebus, can you get me some lotion for bottom I have terminal mydriasis!"

ABNPOPPA said...
AZ stole my idea on midryass. I am protesting! Technical Foul, Flag on the play!

I so upset I am just wuzzy

Pops

AZ said...
ABNPOPPA sorry, but I visited your blog and noticed your from the Midwest, I on the other hand live in Mydriasis Central aka Arizona. I lived through our infamous 122 degree day, I know mydriasis first hand, I lived through it! :0)


Thanks! y'all cracked me up!!

APPLAUSE!!
APPLAUSE!!!
APPLAUSE!!!!



The words for this week are:

back matter
balkline



For those of you who are new this year, all words and definitions come from my 1992 Random House Webster's College Dictionary. I do not pick proper nouns or words that I know the meaning of.

For all winners, the Awards will continue to be found on my sidebar to pick up at your leisure.

Now don't forget to leave your comments for the new words!

4 comments:

Stephanie D said...

Balkline--the point at which I say, "No, I do NOT want to work extra tonight".

Back matter--you don't want to know what came into my head on this one.

Anonymous said...

Back matter: In well-mannered society one cannot user the term badonkadonk or junk-in-her-trunk, so the upper class say: "Vera, did you get a glimpse of Glenda's back matter?"

Balkline: The line in the dirt women draw when they refuse to go shopping for auto and/or plumbing parts for their husbands.

Lisa said...

Hmmmm...

Back matter - n. That debris which adheres to the velcro-like texture of back hair of extremely virile males.
ex: While brushing his back, Mortimer's wife discovered to her dismay, that in the pile of back matter she had collected there were not only toenail clippings and lint, but a pair of false eyelashes.

Balkline - n.The point at which procrastination and foot-dragging ceases to be tolerated.
ex: Eddy knew he had crossed the balkline when he opened his lunch box and found that, instead of lunch, his mother had packed the weeks' worth of dirty sock he had left on his bedroom floor.

Rita Loca said...

back matter, the term applied to incidents which are drug up for purpose of argument, usually in a marriage, "How far Back does it MATTER?" Each couple will determine the time allowed for this.

balk line, the no turning back point. No balking, you already crossed the balk line.