My Husband "Subvet" says that when our first son "Sonshine" was born the sun rose on our world, when our second son "Gator" was born the sun laughed and when our daughter "Sugars" was born all the flowers bloomed. That says it all.

"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...
It's about learning how to dance in the rain."
Anonymous

Your mind is the garden, your
thoughts are the seeds, the harvest can either be flowers or weeds. — William
Wordsworth

Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Oh My Goodness!!

It took two hours to snap all those beans!! Wow-ee.

Now to tell you what I plan to do with them.....

I will warn you that this has earned me (yet again) the title of MEAN OLD MOMMY from my darling husband.


I am bound and determined to get vegetables into Gator-boy. He's gotten smart enough now that he spits em out no matter what I hide them in.

SO!

I've been toying with this idea for awhile and now it's going into action...right after payday.

My kids put either ketchup or BBQ sauce on absolutely everything! (even Mac N Cheese!)

I am going to take these beans (which aren't a favorite, even for Sonshine who will eat most veggies) add corn, carrots, squash, spinach, peas, Worchestershire Sauce, and Tomato sauce...maybe some garlic powder too and puree the whole mess till smooth.

It then will be put in a clean ketchup bottle and presented as "Momma's Special Sauce" (McD's eat your heart out!) To be served on whatever the mood strikes.

I'm also thinking about using it as sauce for pasta.....ummm possibilities are endless.

Subvet and I go back and forth about whether or not ketchup counts as a vegetable. This "ketchup" most definitely WILL!!
Of course, it'll probably look like baby puke...but if kids'll eat this cake...they'll eat anything!!

By the way, PenofJen credits me with the cake recipe...I got it from Stephanie, it's part of her Halloween menu.

5 comments:

Pen of Jen said...

Ketchup on mac and cheese, I have rugrats that think that that is yummy! But I just stopped buying ketchup problem solved!

I love the moms sauce....let me know how it taste...I bet great!!!!

I did not know where you found the link, so I linked to a halloween site. Thanks to Stephanie!!!

... said...

the secret sauce sounds like a good idea. it reminds me of a show i saw last week on oprah. she had the author of a new cookbook on the show. all the recipes include vegetables that have been pureed. she even had a chocolate cake that everyone loved.

did you see the show? i was thinking all moms with young kids should see this. i wish i had seen it when my kids were young. i think it's a great way to get them to eat their vegies.

MightyMom said...

no, I don't watch any TV at all....just DVDs

once he's old enough to understand he'll get the "you can't leave the table till you've had some veggies" lecture but for now it's Momma's Special sauce!

Stephanie D said...

Hey, I'm married to a big kid who puts ketchup on mac and cheese, pork chops, chicken, just about anything, even if I've made a sauce or gravy for it! I used to get upset about it; now I just figure it's his problem and I still do the gravy or sauce. If it doesn't taste good with ketchup too--oh, well.

Have you ever just sauteed the green beans in a little olive oil and garlic until just tender? Mmmmm. J-man doesn't like those, either, but maybe we were out of ketchup that day.

Let us know how the Mom sauce goes over!

MightyMom said...

Steph, the kids were just fine with plain ol mac n cheese till DADDY just insisted they have ketchup on it, cuz that's how HE likes it!!!

:-)