My Husband "Subvet" says that when our first son "Sonshine" was born the sun rose on our world, when our second son "Gator" was born the sun laughed and when our daughter "Sugars" was born all the flowers bloomed. That says it all.

"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...
It's about learning how to dance in the rain."
Anonymous

Your mind is the garden, your
thoughts are the seeds, the harvest can either be flowers or weeds. — William
Wordsworth

Monday, November 1, 2010

Perspective.

The following is an article I first wrote for my church newsletter for the December 2006 issue.


Over the last month I've been working my way through The Complete Works of Sherlock Holmes, I've finished Vol. I and I can now tell you the plot to every Sherlock Holmes story ever written. Here you go... Someone comes to good old 221-B Baker Street with a set of events/facts. These all add up to person A being guilty of something, ol’ Sherl sees the facts from some off the wall viewpoint and puts them together to show that in actuality person B is really the guilty party. He then employs various ways of proving himself right.



I'm not a big fan of Halloween, it's seemed to me that it just encourages greed and gluttony...things we try to teach our kids to avoid. However, wanting to allow my 3 year old some fun and not be known as "that mother" -- you know, the mean one who doesn't allow anything "unwholesome" (read enjoyable) in the house -- I tried to find some way to celebrate this non-holiday with a good message. So, instead of going out and collecting a bunch of candy (no I wouldn't let him eat it anyway) we stayed on our front porch and gave candy away. He had a blast!! He loved seeing all the costumes and got a big kick out of putting candy in the various containers....or throwing it at the folks when too excited. Since we had approx 100 folks come through our neighborhood in the 2 hours we were out there he saw many fun costumes and had many folks exclaim over him. He actually looked a LOT happier than the kids (and adults) that were busy filling up their pillowcases. As we sat there refilling our bowl to be sure we didn't run out of candy ("Need more candy for kids mom!!") It went through my head that it truly is better to give than to receive. Sonshine learned all about giving and I enjoyed a very nice greed and gluttony free Halloween.



OK, we've all heard the glass half full or half empty bit before. But, truly, something as simple as a change in the perspective you're viewing a set of facts/events from could change the way the whole picture looks. My Grandma used to say that we decide each morning if we're going to be happy that day. Also known as "You can get glad in the same shoes you got mad in." As we spend the end of this year reviewing the events that have passed, let's try to look at them from a different perspective. Maybe it isn't so much the event itself that is bothersome as much as how we are viewing it.

I challenge each of us to start the new year off deciding to be happy with whatever comes our way. And keep looking for just how to make lemonade out of that great big lemon you've been handed.



Love you

Sarah



"When someone gives you free fertilizer for your garden, you don't complain about the smell." Earlene Fowler

9 comments:

Pen of Jen said...

Great article. I am with ya on the whole halloween concept, but I love how you made it exciting for the little guy!

Linda said...

Very well written.

I am going to email you the dancer image from my blog as I don't have the URL where it originated at as I got it via email from a friend. How confusing is that???

Linda said...

Ooops ... I was going to email that to you but I seem to have lost your email address - sheesh! Would you be so kind as to send it to me? I've got a link on the sidebar of my blog for my address.

((Thumps self in forehead!))

... said...

nice perspective. do you still write for your church newsletter? if it were me, i would just regenerate some of my blog posts =]

MightyMom said...

linda, will do thanks, it's just too cool!

diana, well, the blog has taken over the newsletter...when I started writing for the newsletter I promised myself I would only write when the Spirit moved me to... and here lately the Spirit hasn't moved.....

Cookie..... said...

Hey MightyMom...do ya let the little guy dress up in an appropriate costume while handin out the goodies? If'n ya don't, it might put a little morwe fun in it fer the tyke.

We used to challange out little ones, Four of them) to come up with differant decoration (and scare tactics) ideas for the yard. It amazed me the great (and simple) stuff they came up with....

One year, they made a huge black spider from an old beach ball and several pairs of old black leotards (for the legs), and then lowered it gently onto the unsuspecting trick or treaters from an upstairs window....everybody got a ton of fun & laughs from that....

After they had gotten the idea that giving is better than receiving (when they were about 7-9), then we let them start garbaging down some of the candy. Just a little mind ya...those "sugar high's" were murder....

Like yur way of thinking amiga.....

MightyMom said...

cookie, I'm working on my Pumpkin Patch Kids costumes!!

ellen b. said...

Love you're grandma's perspective "you can get glad in the same shoes you got mad in"
That was a great idea for Trick or Treating. That's my favorite part...

Lisa said...

LOVE IT!