My Husband "Subvet" says that when our first son "Sonshine" was born the sun rose on our world, when our second son "Gator" was born the sun laughed and when our daughter "Sugars" was born all the flowers bloomed. That says it all.

"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...
It's about learning how to dance in the rain."
Anonymous

Your mind is the garden, your
thoughts are the seeds, the harvest can either be flowers or weeds. — William
Wordsworth

Sunday, August 12, 2007

Potty Training 103

If you've read 101 and 102 then you know what color wall I've been beating my head up against this summer!

I want to say off the top, if any of you have suggestions for getting an Asperger's/Autistic boy to actually pee in the pot I'd love to hear them.

Now, to his Daddy's great aggravation, Sonshine is a third generation Beatle Maniac. So today we're sitting on the pot for the zillionth time waiting on 'Eureka' and Sonshine asks me to sing Get Back.

For some reason my two remaining brain cells decided to work at the same time and I thought....A-HA! A potty song is just what we need! I mean, after all, 1/2 his vocabulary came from songs.....

So here you go
sung to the tune of Get Back

Sonshine was a boy who really needed to tee-tee
Tee-tee in the potty now

Sonshine's mama said would you please, please, please tee-tee
Tee-tee in the potty now

chorus
Tee-tee
Tee-tee
Tee Tee-tee in the potty now

Tee-tee
Tee-tee
Tee Tee-tee in the potty now

TEE-TEE SONSHINE!

4 comments:

Diane@Diane's Place said...

I really don't know how, with a husband and 3 kids, but you REALLY have too much time on your hands, don't you? LOL! ;D

Ummm.....M&M's? Have you tried that? Every tinkle in the potty, he gets one M&M. If he does the dirty deed, maybe a whole package, or another candy or treat he really likes. But ONLY if he goes in the potty.

I know it sounds like bribery, but I also know with Asperger's that association works better than a lot of methods. Go in the potty = reward, candy.

Of course you may still be giving him candy for pottying when he's 15, too, LOL! ;D

Good luck!

Love and hugs,

Diane

Pen of Jen said...

I explained that my second has similar issues, and he could not stand the wet feeling. Now poo he loved, and I knew he was because he was rocking in it!!

But it was steady pace, and a set clock to head to the potty. Right after every meal, and I created a snack time at 10 am and 2pm so we could then follow with the potty schedule. Mine lives by schedule so this was very effective. Plus I would run the sink water when he went, (funny thing, when he goes to the bathroom he turns on the sink lightly now)But I used it to trigger the pee!!

Susan said...

You are soooo funny. Is it working?
Susan

MightyMom said...

I'd give him a whole candy store at this point, but since he hasn't peed yet he doesn't quite know what I'm asking...or how to do it....I think I'm going to try the schedule idea and see if that helps...why run the sink? the toilet's CONSTANTLY being flushed when we're in there.