My Husband "Subvet" says that when our first son "Sonshine" was born the sun rose on our world, when our second son "Gator" was born the sun laughed and when our daughter "Sugars" was born all the flowers bloomed. That says it all.

"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...
It's about learning how to dance in the rain."
Anonymous

Your mind is the garden, your
thoughts are the seeds, the harvest can either be flowers or weeds. — William
Wordsworth

Thursday, August 23, 2007

Kids and Decency

Well, folks.

We went to meet the teacher today. All of the boys' teachers seem to be great and I think they (the boys) will do very well this year. Sonshine's teacher didn't blink when I said we "were working on" the potty training as opposed to "being trained." She even gave ways that she could help, so I feel a LOT better about that! I've been asked for a potty training update. Well, he hasn't peed in the pot yet. BUT I spent time yesterday making him cloth training pants. I hand sewed cloth diapers (that had extra padding) into underwear and he loves them! He has discovered that wet underwear feels yukky and now tells me as soon as he pees to go potty. This is a step in the right direction.

In other news. Sugars rolled from back to belly this afternoon. Oh, and that tooth I said she had? It disappeared. I know I felt something sharp in there the other day, but dang if I can find it now. But she chomped a bruise on my knuckle last night so I'm sure we won't have to buy her teeth. I promised each child that if they didn't have teeth by the time they started school I'd buy them a set. That way the poor baby could relax and stop worrying about when those teeth will cut.




Now, on to the "Decency" part of this post.

Check out this outfit that someone (I forget who) bought for Sugars.




cute huh? Yeah, I thought so too.



Now, check out how it looks on her.






Yup, want a better view??





You betcha. An off-the-shoulder, form fitting smocked top in 3-6month size.
I tried and tried to get those sleeves to go up on her shoulders. I'm telling you, this is how it's meant to be worn.

Obviously, she didn't leave the house in it and won't be wearing it again. Which I think is sad because the person who bought it had no idea I'm sure. I mean you just can't tell on a hanger.

Subvet said "Prosti-tots"
We talked about this all the way to Preschool today. What is this world coming to? Personally, I blame not only Brittany Spears, but also Mary Kate and Ashley (who appeal to a MUCH younger crowd.)

8 comments:

jennifer said...

Sarah You are so cool making the diapers and the training pants.

Great news about the teachers!!

And I am with you, what the heck are they making halter type clothing for such wee ones?

I have been working on an article to address this very subject...same idea.

It makes me sick, but as a disclaimer the baby looks adorable no matter what...even if she has a phantom tooth!

oh and I tagged you on mcbenningschool.blogspot.com

Diane@Diane's Place said...

It was a ghost tooth, like the ghost poop...she done faked you out!

Nah, the gums heal back over them sometimes, it'll be back soon.

Boy, I'm with you on the vulgar clothing and lack of clothing on our kids and teens especially, but on adults too. Whatever happened to modesty, decency and self respect?

Diane

Mohawk Chieftain said...

I believe the top is much more of an off the shoulders thing than any kind of halter. I see absolutely nothing wrong with it... except maybe an invitation for some sunburn.

As for potty training, have you tried sticking the young lad's hand in some water, while putting him on the pot? Always seems to work, as far as I know of....

MightyMom said...

ghost tooth it is!!

we've spent more time with hands in warm water than out....

next idea?? I'm all ears.

TO BECOME said...

If I remember my child rearing days correctly sometimes the new tooth swells back over and for a time it seems like we imagined the tooth. But, no, I don't think you will be having to buy a pair of false teeth.

Those people who make clothes hope to get our children so young so that they will have them for sure when they are older and most or I should say a lot of moms just go along with it. good for you!!!

The baby is a little darling. She would be beautiful wearing a paper bag. You are blest. Happy school year. connie from Texas

MightyMom said...

Subvet and I agree that off the shoulder clothing is intended to be seductive...why would you make seductive clothing for kids?? is it just pandering to pedophiles?

MightyMom said...

Hello Connie!
And thank you. Actually she may end up wearing a paper bag.

Subvet said that I will probably be making most of her clothes in the near future...to which I said, great!

Yes, I am VERY blest!

Stephanie D said...

I think the little off-the-shoulder tube top is adorable on her, but I wouldn't feel if she were 5 years or older, because then she would be aware of it herself. So it's probably not good to get her used to if, if that's how you see it. Kinda reminds me of "Scooter" on that old TV show "Mama's Family" with Vicky Lawrence. She always wore yellow and off-the-shoulder tops.

As for potty-training, DD waited until she was almost 3 before she was trained, and it happened after she saw some cute little panties in wally world or somewhere. She wanted some and I told her those were only for big girls who didn't wet their panties. She was trained in a week.

Of course, I've been trying to housebreak the dog for 5 months now, so don't ask me for advice.
8^b