My Husband "Subvet" says that when our first son "Sonshine" was born the sun rose on our world, when our second son "Gator" was born the sun laughed and when our daughter "Sugars" was born all the flowers bloomed. That says it all.

"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...
It's about learning how to dance in the rain."
Anonymous

Your mind is the garden, your
thoughts are the seeds, the harvest can either be flowers or weeds. — William
Wordsworth

Thursday, January 22, 2009

Thesaurus Thursday

Welcome to Thesaurus Thursday, 2009.

This game has brought me great joy and taught me many new words! I'm glad to continue it into this new year. Welcome to all newcomers!! Take a minute and peruse our "game rules" here, then come back to this post and join in for big fun and enormous laughs!


Are you ready??

Last week's official definitions were:

zygodactyl - 1) (of a bird) having the toes of the foot arranged in pairs, with two toes pointed forward and two turned rearward, as woodpeckers. 2) of or pertaining to a zygodactyl bird 3) a zygodactyl bird.




Congrats Smarty Pants Henrietta!


zymurgy - the branch of applied chemitry dealing with fermentation, as in winemaking or brewing.


Congrats to these Silly Geese:
nancy said...
A Zygodactyl was a Cajun dinosaur, known to feed almost exclusively on crawdads in the bayous of Louisiana.
Zymurgy is a word that refers to the collection and study of the petrified droppings of the Zygodactyl. They are being touted as a possible alternate energy source.

Lori in South Dakota said...
Zymurgy---surgery on your zym

But Lori,....what's a zym????




APPLAUSE!!
APPLAUSE!!!
APPLAUSE!!!!



The words for this week are:

mydriasis
muzzy



For those of you who are new this year, all words and definitions come from my 1992 Random House Webster's College Dictionary. I do not pick proper nouns or words that I know the meaning of.

For all winners, the Awards will continue to be found on my sidebar to pick up at your leisure.

Now don't forget to leave your comments for the new words!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mydriasis: This is easy, "mydriasis" is a medical term to describe the condition of buttocks of furnace room workers, as in "Jeebus, can you get me some lotion for bottom I have terminal mydriasis!"

Muzzy: Back in the 30's ladies used a muff in the winter to keep their hands warm, if you had cold feet you could buy two muffs and put them on your feet, muffs (plural) are then referred to as a pair of muzzy.

Cookie..... said...

"Mydriasis: Something a southern woman says after her dress gets splashed by a car passing through a nearby puddle, i.e. "Oh dear, mydriasis all muddy!"

"Muzzy" Military slang for Muslim.

Lori in South Dakota said...

I should have gotten the bird feet thing, I spent last summer studying Osprey, who HAVE this neat little feature! And a zym--that's the tingly edge to your elbow, and if it tingles all the time, the dr. does surgery so it won't!

ABNPOPPA said...

AZ stole my idea on midryass. I am protesting! Technical Foul, Flag on the play!

I so upset I am just wuzzy

Pops

Lori in South Dakota said...

muzzy--how I feel in the morning before a pot of coffee, especially if I've been out the night before.

mydriasis--the button you push after you use the bidet.

Henrietta said...

Mydriasis what you get after nice nursey has wiped and powdered your bum.

Muzzy, lovely old English word, another of my mother's favorites. Probably the closest thing in the modern day USA is fibro 'brain fog'. Very common 'morning after the night before' syndrome also found in medical interns after a tough rotation.

Anonymous said...

ABNPOPPA sorry, but I visited your blog and noticed your from the Midwest, I on the other hand live in Mydriasis Central aka Arizona. I lived through our infamous 122 degree day, I know mydriasis first hand, I lived through it! :0)

Stephanie D said...

I'm feeling mydriasis is a medical term, but darned if I can think of what it is right now.

As for muzzy, I think it's the warm snuggles I get from my cocker spaniel in the mornings.