My Husband "Subvet" says that when our first son "Sonshine" was born the sun rose on our world, when our second son "Gator" was born the sun laughed and when our daughter "Sugars" was born all the flowers bloomed. That says it all.

"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...
It's about learning how to dance in the rain."
Anonymous

Your mind is the garden, your
thoughts are the seeds, the harvest can either be flowers or weeds. — William
Wordsworth

Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Sarah's Simple Sewing Secrets



Well, if I had a scanner or a better camera this would be a lot easier to see, but we shall have to deal with what I've got. You are looking at pattern instructions for making the ties on an apron. These instructions say to fold a strip of fabric in half (right sides together), sew, then turn right side out using a pen or unsharpened pencil.

Friends, if your tie is longer than 18" this method will become a Teach Your Kid to Cuss Activity very quickly!!

So, today I will show you an easier way. At least, it's easier for me.

Start by cutting a strip of fabric that is at least 1/2 inch wider than 2x the width of your tie. Translation: I'm making a tie that, when finished, is 1 inch wide. So I cut a strip that was a minimum of 2.5 inches wide.

Fold the strip in half lengthwise (wrong sides together) and press (iron) a good crease down the middle.

Open strip back up and lay flat, wrong side up.

Now, measure from the center crease toward the edge and fold up the raw edge to the desired width of your tie (1 inch for this one) and press. It's easier for me to measure a small section, then press it, repeatedly..down the length of the strip.



Repeat down the other side of the strip so that both raw edges have been folded towards the wrong side of the fabric.

Fold up toward the wrong side of fabric and press a minimum of 1/4 inch on each short end of the strip also.


Refold wrong sides together at lengthwise crease and repress, ensuring that the folded edges are in line




Now, you see that little corner of raw edge hanging out there next to Mr Brown Kitty's mouth? Tiny things like this just don't bug me much....but in case they do bug you...here's what you do.

open the folded strip back up and fold that little corner that hangs out back inside, press in place.



voila!!



Now, sew around the tie close to the edge. I achieve this by moving my needle to the right position (as in right, center, or left positions) then sew lining the right edge of the tie up with the right edge of the presser foot.






Now, I made a couple of mistakes when making this tie, one of which was that I forgot to change my stitch length and so this is sewn with about 1,000 stitches per inch there....which is why the stitching looks soooo crooked :-P

So, now's a good time to tell you my theory on mistakes. Unless you can see the mistake from across the room with your glasses off. Forgetaboutit!! No one else is ever going to look at something you've made with the same eyes that you do. You see every crooked seam, every pucker or tuck, every slanting stripe. You're the ONLY one who does! REALLY!! And if they do just happen to notice something a little amiss. Repeat these words "Fabric Art". You betcha! Fabric Art...as in Artistic License...In quilting we have what is known as the "evil eye" block. Supposedly started from the Amish who believe that only God can create something that is perfect, therefore in every quilt they intentionally put in 1 block that doesn't match or is in some way imperfect. In my sewing room this same thing is known as Fabric Art. As in ....oooops, guess that's my evil eye block for this quilt!! AND ooooopppss that hem ain't even close to straight....good thing it's Fabric Art!! Yes, the seam ripper is my friend and I will pull things out and redo them, but choose these battles wisely folks. If you're too caught up in making it perfect you won't enjoy making it and will eventually stop sewing.

So, that's it from Sarah's Sewing Room for this week, hope you enjoyed!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

OK, I totally got it! That's so much better than the "pull it back through" method because when you do it that way it ends up looking like a tube!
Thanks, buddy!

jennifer said...

I will be using this information in my crafty apron swap with my Texas friend!!